Monday, July 23, 2012

In Memory of Stephen Covey

This weekend we lost a great author and guide to better personal time management, Stephen Covey. His book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, was one of the all time best and often cited works dealing with how to maximize the use of your time and talents.

This morning one of my alerts brought me a link to this article in the Business Insider magazine.  It is a wonderful summary of the book and I highly recommend you read it. If you have read the book it is still a timely and useful review. If not, you can learn a lot and it just might prompt you to buy the book. It is a worthwhile investment.

The catch-phrase, "Start with the end in mind" taken from Covey's  by me a very long time ago, is to this day a mantra that I frequently use both in the office and at home. Of all the advice contained in this text, this is the one which has been my guiding light to success.

After all, if you don't know where you want to go, any road will get you there.  But when you have a specific destination in mind it becomes easy to chart the most efficient and effective means of getting there. 

So my advice is stop spending so much time and energy on the how and why. Instead, first nail the answer to where and the rest will follow.

Captain Joe

Follow me on Twitter @JPuglisiLLC

No comments:

Post a Comment